Low Nic – vs – Salt Nic
You might have heard it called nic salt, salt nic juice, nic salts, or nicotine salts. Whatever you want to call it, it’s becoming extremely popular among vaping enthusiasts. There are a few reasons nicotine salts are becoming more popular than low nicotine, ranging from the devices used to enjoy it to the smoothness of it. For the most part, everything we love about nic salt can be traced back to its potency.
Low Nicotine/Freebase Nicotine Vs. Nic Salts Strength
The biggest difference between nicotine salt and freebase nicotine is the vape juice nicotine level. Freebase nicotine can’t achieve nearly the same levels of nicotine without becoming extremely harsh. Many of our customers say that they find themselves vaping low nicotine all day until they feel satisfied, and it makes their throat feel raw. Since nicotine salts can contain much higher levels of nicotine, most people say they find themselves vaping less frequently after making the switch.
Why Do People Buy Nic Salts?
While the strength of nicotine salt is what ultimately makes it so popular, there are also some finer points to the experiences you can get with it:
- Many people who are used to a certain amount of nicotine every day, such as former smokers, appreciate that they can get the high nicotine levels they’re used to.
- Some people make the switch because other vaping options like freebase didn’t appeal to them very much.
- Our customers who are new to vaping might gravitate toward nicotine salts because they like to go straight for the latest and greatest technology available.
- Some people say the throat hit feels more similar to the kind you might expect from tobacco, which they prefer more than the harsh throat hit of low nicotine.
What Is Low/Freebase Nicotine?
The older style of vape juice is known as freebase nicotine, and it’s actually been around in various forms since the 1960s. The term freebase indicates that nicotine has been isolated from everything else as much as possible to get it in its most concentrated forms. This makes the nicotine levels a lot higher, and the potency allows it to be absorbed and processed by your body quickly.
A famous cigarette company behind top brands, figured a lot of this out about six decades ago in the 1960s. At this point, they were adding nicotine to their cigarettes to make them more addictive. The key to freebasing nicotine for consumption in this way is to strip away some of its chemical structure to make it more volatile. As this happens, it becomes easier for nicotine to cross organic membranes in your body. This means you’re getting more of it into your lungs and your brain quickly.
For people who want high nic levels, this may sound like a good thing. If that’s the case, why does everyone keep making the switch because they say nicotine salt is stronger than freebase nicotine? To take this step forward, the vaping industry actually takes a page out of nature’s book.
How is Nicotine Salt Different?
Where it exists naturally in tobacco leaves, nicotine naturally has the chemical composition of a salt. In other words, it’s made up of a positive charge and a negative charge, or an acid and a base. Cigarette companies were using ammonia to literally free the base (hence the name) and remove the positive charge. This was often achieved by using a salt such as diammonium phosphate to create ammonium when the cigarette was lit on fire. This reaction is what freebased the nicotine and made it ready for inhalation.
Nicotine salts have a much more stable chemical structure than low nicotine, similar to the nicotine salt found naturally in tobacco leaves. Benzoic acid is the secret ingredient that makes this stable structure more powerful than freebase nicotine. Introducing benzoic acid does three important things:
1. Lowers the pH balance of the salt nicotine to create a smoother throat hit
2. Helps the nic salts vaporize at lower temperatures so they’re not as hot in your throat
3. Creates a chemical reaction that helps free the nicotine so it becomes more absorbable like low nicotine
The smooth, cool hits of nic salts combine with this high level of bioavailability make it ideal. You can vape more of it without making yourself uncomfortable, and your body ends up absorbing more nicotine along the way.
Devices for Nic Salt
These changes to the chemistry make it so nic salt can be enjoyed with much less powerful devices. Using a high-wattage device like a sub-ohm to vape potent nicotine salt would deliver too much nicotine. Some people who don’t know about nic salts might say, “there’s no such thing as too much nicotine.” Trust us, though, there really is.
Using a device with low wattage allows you to find convenient options that are sleek, small, convenient, and inconspicuous. You can even find one that auto fires if you don’t like the idea of holding a button down when you switch to vaping. Most people agree that these devices are more straightforward, more convenient, and just generally more enjoyable to use.
To get a low-wattage device for nic salts, choose one of the following options with high resistance:
- Closed System Nic Salt Vapes – This means you use something that accepts disposable pods or cartridges. Some people prefer this method because it’s very convenient and less messy. Disposables, the easiest to use or a rechargeable Juul type of prefilled pod device.
- Open System Nic Salt Vape – This type of device is also called a fill your own or refillable system, which means you just add more of the nic salt vape juice yourself instead of buying another pod or cartridge. People who like this option say it’s good that there are fewer things to throw away.
Freebase Nicotine Vs. Nic Salts – Which is Better?
Vaping is a personal experience, so no one but you can really decide which type of vape pens are the best for you or which type of vape juice is the best for you. Still, we find that many of our customers have recently said that nic salts are more appealing to them. To recap, the reasons people say they buy nicotine salts normally come down to things like this:
- “I just quit smoking and I’m looking for something that can replace nicotine as quickly as possible.”
- “It takes me all day to feel like I’m getting enough nicotine from my old vape, and I’m sick of dealing with it all the time.”
- “Freebase nicotine makes my throat feel super raw, and it actually hurts way worse than it did when I was smoking.”
- “The sensation of inhaling smoke was nice for me, and I’m looking for something a little bit more similar.”
- “The devices for nic salts are way better than the freebase nicotine vapes I can find.”
- “Nic salts taste cooler and smoother.”
- “Nicotine salts last longer, which is nice because I use less.”
Where to Buy Salt Nic Juice
Here at HQ Vape & Smoke, we’ve set up Headquarters in Tempe, AZ as well as Denver, CO. You can visit us in either city to get all of your vape supplies including nic salts. Stop by today, and we’ll hook you up with everything you need for an awesome setup.
Featured Image: Anastasika Yar/Shutterstock